ExpressTruckTax Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

How to be an Owner/Operator Truck Driver?

What is It?
An owner operator truck driver is someone who owns their own truck and uses it to transfer goods as an independent contractor. Owner operators often work for several truck lines and companies. This type of situation is good if you enjoy managing your own schedule and the sense of freedom that the open road provides. It is ideal for someone to have many contacts in the trucking industry if they wish to pursue a career as an owner operator due to the difficulty of getting loads to haul.  

How to Become One?
The First thing to do, in order to become an owner operator, is to get CDL license endorsement. A CDL endorsement is added to your current driver’s license after a knowledge and skills test are passed. It is necessary to gain experience in the trucking industry as a driver before beginning business as an owner operator. The next step is actually leasing a truck. After you get a truck, you need to focus on getting work from reputable companies. Important things to remember about gaining and maintaining work is that you can build a strong reputation as an owner operator by being on time and having good communication with the employers.

What Taxes are Associated with Owner Operators?
The IRS requires all vehicles with registered gross weights equal to or exceeding 55,000 pounds to pay annually on heavy vehicles operating on public highways to file Heavy Vehicle Use Tax or HVUT. There are three different categories for HVUT rates for these vehicles. Vehicles Below 55,000 pounds have HVUT because they do not qualify as a heave vehicle. Vehicles between 55,000 and 75,000 pounds owe $100, plus $22 per 1,000 pounds over 55,000 pounds. Finally, for vehicles that are over 75,000 pounds the maximum HVUT is $550 per year.  

There are many taxes that are associated with the trucking industry. Many of them can be managed online through This serves as a one stop shop for all truck tax needs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

ExpressTruckTax Blog

E-file your HVUT Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax.