ExpressTruckTax Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

EIN-What is it and how can you get one?

An EIN is an Employer Identification Number, also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and can be used to verify a business entity. An EIN is usually required in order to file a tax return for a business. If you do not have an EIN, you can apply for one online through the IRS website or if you don’t have the time or unable to get to a computer, you can have a service provider, like Truck Services of North America to do it for you.

Please note that if you obtain a new EIN it takes approximately 10 business days for the EIN to become active within the IRS' e-file system, thus you should wait until after this period to complete a tax form online.

If you are filing Form 2290 for Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT), you will also need an EIN to file the return. The IRS will no longer accept Social Security Numbers for the Form 2290. It must be an EIN.

The Form 2290 can be E-Filed online through the IRS-Authorized E-File provider  If you have any questions, you can contact the Truck Tax Team at 704.234.6005

No comments:

Post a Comment

ExpressTruckTax Blog

E-file your HVUT Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax.