ExpressTruckTax Blog

Showing posts with label 2290 Tax Refund. Show all posts
Showing posts with label 2290 Tax Refund. Show all posts

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

How Does Form 8849 Effect My 2290?


Alright, 2290 season is coming, and along with your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) comes a lot of questions and sometimes a little confusion. Sometimes while filing your Form 2290 you might see information about Form 8849, but what’s that? Do you need to be concerned with it? Today we’re here with the 8849 facts to answer your questions.

Form 8849

Form 8849 is the Claim or Refund of Excise Taxes Form. Excise taxes are the taxes paid on goods when they’re purchased and they’re often included in the price. An example of one of these goods is gasoline, hints your IFTA tax. Also, excise taxes include activities, such as highway usage by trucks.

Highway usage?! Now that might ring a bell because if you drive a qualifying vehicle of 55,000 pounds or more then you are required to file Form 2290 in order to get a copy of your stamped Schedule 1. 

After filing your Form 2290 you can File Form 8849 to claim a credit or a refund on the amount of  HVUT paid. Anyone can file this form if they need to claim a refund or a credit.

You can claim credits or refunds for vehicles that were stolen, sold, or destroyed. You can also claim credits for vehicles that were only used for 5,000 miles or less on public highways and 7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles used during the tax period.

Just remember, before you can File Form 8849 you need to file your Form 2290 and pay any Heavy Vehicle Taxes owed to the IRS for the current tax season first.

All you need to File Form 8849 is your name, EIN, and address, but it needs to match what the IRS has on file. You can verify your information by calling the IRS directly at 1-800-829-1040.  

If you’ve already filed your 2290 then you should already have your Employee Identification Number, as the IRS requires you to have one to complete your return.

If you haven’t filed your 2290 and you need an EIN you can apply for one online with the IRS. It will take about 15 days for the EIN to become active if the e-filing system and forms may be rejected during that time.

Also, you will need the information for the vehicle that you’re claiming a refund for with details as to why you’re claiming a credit or refund, such as if it was stolen, sold, or destroyed with the date that the incident occurred.

Pre-File With TSNAmerica

The faster you pre-file your Form 2290 then the faster you can claim a refund or credit with Form 8849. Call our sister company TSNAmerica at 803.386.0320 and they’ll file your Form 2290 for you over the phone. Your return will be transmitted to the IRS on July 1st unless you would like it sent at a later date. The process is as easy as making a simple phone call.

Contact Us

Here at ExpressTruckTax, we want to help you quickly and easily handle all of your truck tax needs, headache free. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions that you may have over the phone Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM EST at 704.234.6005. We also offer live chat and 24/7 email support at
Read More »

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Internal Revenue Service Form 2290 Section Overview

First Use Month
The First Use Month refers to the month that the vehicle was first used during the tax period.  If the vehicle will be used for the entire Tax Period, then July would be the appropriate month to select.  

Taxable Vehicles
On The Taxable Vehicles section, you can enter all of your taxable motor vehicles weighing 55,000 lbs or more.  Do Not Add vehicles that you expect to use less than 5,000 miles during the tax period (or 7,500 miles, If Agricultural Use).  These Vehicles are known as low mileage, tax suspended, or category W vehicles; and they can be added in another section.

Suspended Vehicles
Tax Suspended Vehicles, also known as low mileage or category W vehicles are not subject to taxation because these vehicles will remain below the mileage threshold of 5,000 miles during the tax period (or 7,500 miles, if Agricultural use).  

Prior Year Suspended Vehicles
If You Reported any vehicles as Tax Suspended or category W during the previous tax period, you must report these vehicles to the IRS if either of the following occurred:
A:  The Vehicle exceeded the mileage threshold
B: The vehicle was Sold
Do Not add a suspended vehicle if neither of these occurred

Sold, Destroyed, or Stolen Vehicles
If you Sold a taxable vehicle, or that vehicle was destroyed or stolen before June 1st, you are eligible for a pro-rated credit or refund.

Low Mileage Credits
If you paid Heavy Vehicle Use Taxes, but did not exceed the mileage threshold during a prior tax period, you are eligible for a credit or refund of the Heavy Vehicle Use Taxes paid during that period. Enter all applicable vehicles in this section.
Read More »

ExpressTruckTax Blog

E-file your HVUT Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax.