ExpressTruckTax Blog

Showing posts with label Agricultural Vehicles. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Agricultural Vehicles. Show all posts

Friday, September 23, 2016

Exceeding the Mileage Limit: E-filing Form 2290 Amendments

E-Filing Form 2290 Amendments
E-Filing Form 2290 Amendments
As we move further away from 2290 deadline season, it becomes more clear that filers might need to make amendments, corrections, and changes to the 2290’s they’ve already filed.

Of course, we’re not going to cover all of those corrections that can be made in one post. As part of our ongoing discussion about e-filing Form 2290 Amendments, we’re focusing on what to do when you Exceed the Mileage Use Limit.

Mileage Limits on IRS Form 2290

Mileage use limit for a heavy vehicle on public highways is 5,000 miles (or) less (7,500 miles (or) less for agricultural vehicles). The mileage use limit applies to the total mileage a vehicle is on the road during a period, regardless of the number of owners.

Just like when we talked about VIN corrections, ExpressTruckTax has an option for those who exceed the mileage use limit.

Exceeding the Limit

What should you do when your suspended vehicles exceeds the mileage use limit?

It’s not unusual for a suspended vehicle to exceed its mileage use limit, which is why the IRS allows you to file an amendment if your vehicle exceeds the mileage use limit.

So how do you do it? Traditionally, you to need to calculate the tax on Form 2290, page 2, based on the month the vehicle was first used in the period. After that, you file the amended Form 2290 and Schedule 1 by the last day of the month following the month in which the mileage use limit was exceeded.

However, if you want to file your amendment fast, login to, where it's easy to file a mileage limit amendment and accurately calculate the tax due to IRS. Best of all, you will get your Schedule 1 for the new claim within minutes.

If you’ve e-filed with us before, you can select that return from our system. We also accept new filers, as well.

If you have questions about e-filing a 2290 amendment, please call us at 704.234.6005 - we're here ready to answer your call in Rock Hill, SC, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Read More »

Friday, May 20, 2016

Logging Vehicles & Form 2290

Logging Vehicles
Logging Vehicles
We hear it all the time — what exactly is a logging vehicle?

A lot of our 2290 filers see the option asking if their taxable vehicles are used for logging. This gets misunderstood, and they think that means logs that track mileage or fuel.

But logging vehicle really refers to hauling logs... as in felled trees and other products from the forest.

Now, according to the IRS a vehicle qualifies as a logging vehicle if:

  • It is used exclusively for the transportation of products harvested from the forested site, or it exclusively transports the products harvested from the forested site to and from locations on a forested site (public highways may be used between the forested site locations), -
  • It is registered (under the laws of the state or states in which the vehicle is required to be registered) as a highway motor vehicle used exclusively in the transportation of harvested forest products. A vehicle will be considered to be registered under the laws of a state as a highway motor vehicle used exclusively in the transportation of harvested forest products if the vehicle is so registered under a state statute or legally valid regulations. In addition, no special tag or license plate identifying a vehicle as being used in the transportation of harvested forest products is required.

What do they mean by “products harvested from the forested site?”

Products harvested from the forested site

Do ents count as harvested products?

Well, that basically means they include timber that has been processed for commercial use, as well as any other sawed, chipped, or milled product that occurred before transportation from the forested site.

The two types of commonly used logging trucks include those used on rough ground and forested trails, and those used for transport on normal highways and roads.

Trucks designed for forested (often temporary) roads are configured with emphasis on suspension and tires. Sometimes, you might see as many as nine axles in use to provide low ground pressure and solid traction.

These trucks are designed to climb a significant gradient, since timber is commonly grown in hilly landscapes.

While the logs are usually loaded with winches and cranes, they’re usually unloaded by letting them roll off sideways.

So if you have a logging vehicle, then you can check the box that says “Used for Logging” when you e-file your form 2290.

Congratulations, you just got yourself a lower tax rate on your 2290!

If you have any questions about the status of your taxable vehicle when you e-file your 2290 this year, ask the dedicated support team at ExpressTruckTax! They provide 24/7 support via email, so you know we’re always ready to help you out.

Read More »

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

4 Types of HVUT Exempt Vehicles

Do you need to file HVUT Form 2290 for your rig? 

Probably. Unless your vehicle is exempt, that is. And if you don’t know, you’re gonna have some issues come deadline day.

So how do you know if your vehicle is exempt from your heavy vehicle taxes?

Just ask the IRS! I’m sure they’ll get back to you with a straight answer right away. Yeah right! But that’s what we’re here for—streamlining your truck tax filing process. So we’ll break things down for you.

Suspended Vehicles

Some vehicles that count as exempt include suspended vehicles. These are based on the number of miles driven, like commercial vehicles traveling fewer than 5,000 miles annually and agricultural vehicles traveling fewer than 7,500 miles annually.

Logging Vehicles

The taxes are lower for logging vehicles—vehicles used for transporting products harvested from the forest and registered with the state agency as such. What counts as a logging vehicle? First off, the truck is used exclusively to transport a harvest from a forested site, or the truck is used exclusively to transport harvested materials from one forested site to another forested site. Even if you use a public highway between sites, your vehicle can still be considered a logging vehicle. You also need to register your truck as a logging vehicle in your base state.

Exempt Groups

I’m sure you’re not surprised to find out that federal, state, and local governments are exempt from HVUT. Sounds like Washington to watch out for themselves! Of course, this privilege extends to the American Red Cross, nonprofit volunteer fire departments, rescue squads, Indian tribal government vehicles, and mass transportation authorities.

Exempt Vehicles

Vehicles not considered highway motor vehicles are also exempt, like mobile machinery for non-transportation functions, vehicles designed for off-highway transportation, and non-transportation trailers and semi-trailers. This also extends to qualified blood collector vehicles used by qualified blood collector organizations, and non-transportation mobile machinery.

If you’re an exempt carrier, you may be required to file tax forms with the IRS or notify your local DMV of the exempt status being claimed. Does your truck fit into one of the above categories? Then it's time to celebrate, because you won’t need to file heavy vehicle use tax!

Not sure about the status of your vehicle? We're here to help! You can reach us by phone at 704.234.6005 or email them for 24/7 assistance at We're here to put your mind at ease!

Read More »

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Efiling for Farmers: Get Your Schedule 1 Today

For those of you members of the Trucking Nation who are involved in agriculture, you know that in many regions of the U.S. right now, harvesting is well under way. We all count on you to get our food and goods to the market, so let’s see what you need to do to ensure your farm trucks stay on the road.

HVUT for Farmers

Even though trucks used for agriculture usually don’t have to pay HVUT, you are still required by the IRS to file a Form 2290 for all trucks with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or greater that operate on public roads. Most farm trucks are known as suspended vehicles and are classified as such if driven less than 7,500 miles each year. The only agricultural trucks that have to pay HVUT are those that put in 7,500 or more miles each year.

What Do I Need to Do?

ExpressTruckTax is the easiest way to file your yearly Form 2290. When filling out the 2290, you’ll just need to list your truck details, such as the VIN and Gross Vehicle Weight, and it will be classed as Category W (if it’s under the 7,500 miles limit). Once you file your 2290 through ExpressTruckTax, you’ll receive a stamped Schedule 1 with a watermark verifying you’ve filed a 2290 for the year. You’ll need this when registering or renewing your license plates or tags for your vehicle. That way the DMV knows you’re current with the IRS, and they won’t issue your plates without it.

Filing Form 2290 from the Farm

Here are the quick, easy steps to filing your 2290 and getting your all-important stamped Schedule 1:

  • First, you’ll need to create an account. If you’re already registered with us, just log in to your existing account. If not, just fill out a few simple fields and you’re ready to go!
  • Second, enter the details about your vehicle(s). This is the important part for agricultural vehicles. If your mileage during the tax period on a truck is less than 7,500 miles, leave the field for Taxable Vehicles blank. You’ll only need to fill in this field for any trucks that have put in 7,500 or more miles during the tax year on public highways. When you get to the Suspended Vehicle screen, then you can enter all the information for your vehicle or vehicles that are suspended.
  • Third, enter your payment information. Then review all your information, transmit your return to the IRS, and you can receive your stamped Schedule 1 within a few minutes.

That’s all there is to it! You’re ready to register your trucks, and to make the trek from farm to market.

Questions or Concerns from the Farm?

Our world-class, locally-based support team is always available Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the phone at 704.234.6005 to help you with any questions you may have. You can also email us anytime at And as always, please remember to recommend us to your family and friends. We need your support as well and always appreciate your referrals!

Read More »

ExpressTruckTax Blog

E-file your HVUT Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax.