ExpressTruckTax Blog

Showing posts with label Suspended vehicle. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Suspended vehicle. Show all posts

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Oops! It’s Time to File a VIN Correction

VIN Correction
File VIN Correction
We hear it all the time—you decided to get things done fast this year, so you e-file Form 2290 early. But once your stamped Schedule 1 comes in, you see that your VIN is way off. What can you do? Well, the easy answer is e-file a VIN correction!

Added Tax From Increase in Taxable Gross Weight

If your vehicle’s taxable gross weight increases during the period, and your vehicle falls in a new tax category, you need to file an amendment. We let you file for amendments with the same easy-to-use system you filed your 2290 with.

Suspended Vehicles Exceeding the Mileage use Limit

If a suspended vehicle exceeds the mileage use limit, they need to file form 2290 amendment. The mileage use limit for a heavy vehicle on public highways is 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles). The mileage use limit applies to the total mileage a vehicle is on the road during a period, regardless of the number of owners.

VIN Correction

If you made a mistake on a VIN when you filed Form 2290, you need to file a Form 2290 VIN correction. You can only file a VIN correction for taxable (or) suspended vehicles, and not for credit vehicles or for prior year suspended vehicles. The wrong VIN must have been paid for in the original form 2290, or the IRS will penalize you while still requiring the actual tax.

Don’t forget, we offer FREE 2290 VIN corrections for any filer who e-filed their 2290 return with us here at ExpressTruckTax!

If you didn't e-file your 2290 with us, but you still need to e-file a VIN correction, have no fear! You still have a chance, you just have to pay a small fee.

So when you need to e-file form 2290 VIN corrections, head over to ExpressTruckTax and we’ll make sure you’re taken care of.

Read More »

Thursday, September 17, 2015

How to Add a Suspended Vehicle


The team at ExpressTruckTax strives to make your life easier, especially when it comes to e-filing your Heavy Vehicle Use Taxes (HVUT) with Form 2290. As you fill out your form, you may have questions and concerns along the way, like, what you should do if you have a suspended vehicle. Well, no worries. We’re offering a step-by-step guide to help you, but first, let’s go over the basics.

In order to file a regular-usage vehicle as suspended, its mileage use on public highways must be 5,000 miles or less; and for an agricultural suspended vehicle, the mileage use must be 7,500 miles or less.

While there is no tax due on suspended vehicles, taxes become due once a suspended vehicle (regular or agricultural) goes beyond the mileage use limit. Whenever you exceed the mileage use limit, you must file a Mileage Exceeded amendment, and pay the full tax amount.


1. First Used Month & Year 

2. Taxable Vehicles 

3. Suspended Vehicles 

4. Add Exempt/Suspended Vehicle 

5. View Information and Edit if Necessary 

6. Click Next!

We hope these instructions gave you a peace of mind, but if you need further help, don’t hesitate to contact us! You can call the support team at 704.234.6005 or email them at

Remember, Trucking Nation, we’re here for you!

Read More »

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How to Handle a Suspended Vehicle That is Destroyed

When you have a suspended vehicle that is destroyed at some point during the year, how do you report that to the IRS? Since there was no tax paid the previous year, you would not have to report the vehicle as being destroyed to the IRS.

If the vehicle had been sold or transferred, it would then need to be reported as a ‘Prior Year Suspended Vehicle’ that was sold/transferred.  You will need the name of the person/business you sold/transferred it to and the date.

If you have a taxable vehicle that was destroyed during the tax year, you would want to make sure that you report that vehicle as destroyed to the IRS for two reasons. First, if you do not report it as destroyed, the IRS will assume you owe the tax on it and you could risk a penalty for not filing.  The other reason is when you file it destroyed, you will be able to claim a refund for the months that you had previously paid for, but it was not used.

Our tax experts at ExpressTruckTax can help you with this question and more.  Or check out our FAQ’s to find answers to your specific situation.  E-File Form 2290 and receive your Stamped Schedule 1 within minutes at

Friday is the deadline so to E-File the Form 2290 online now, go to If you have any questions, contact our friendly US based customer support center in Rock Hill, SC at 704-234-6005 or email us at

Read More »

Monday, August 20, 2012

Misconceptions about Filing Form 2290

Over the years, we have had reoccurring questions about a few misconceptions about filing Form 2290 for Heavy Vehicle Use tax (HVUT).  So we would like to provide some information to help clarify it for you.

What are my Payment Options?

There are 3 Options:
(1) Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW)
(2) Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
(3) Mail a check or money order.

How do I apply for credit using Form 2290 when a vehicle is lost or stolen?

The Form 8849 Schedule 6, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes, can be filed to claim a refund or credit of heavy vehicle use taxes previously paid.

What is a suspended vehicle?

A highway motor vehicle which does not exceed mileage 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles) is exempt from tax and considered ‘suspended.’

Do I pay the penalty using the Form 2290?

The IRS will notify you if you have a penalty due, at which time you can send a letter to the IRS explaining why you have reasonable cause for filing or paying late.

We hope these answers to the most common questions we receive, helps you. If you have any more questions, please contact our friendly US based customer support center in Rock Hill, SC at 704-234-6005 or email us at
Read More »

ExpressTruckTax Blog

E-file your HVUT Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax.