ExpressTruckTax Blog

Showing posts with label owner-operators. Show all posts
Showing posts with label owner-operators. Show all posts

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

New EIN for Your New LLC

A few weeks ago the East Coast was blanketed in a thick layer of snow. In the middle of this snowmageddon, the IRS got behind on their e-filing. When you combine bad weather, hardware failure, and the subsequent maintenance, it’s no wonder the IRS clogged up on issuing Employer Identification Numbers!

Now we know this is just frustrating, but who ever thought the government could be behind on something? Not me, no way. Hmm, never heard of that! We know this is an inconvenience – I mean, maybe you had trouble getting your EIN and then had trouble e-filing your 2290s. Or maybe you went out of your way to turn your trucking business into a LLC, only to find out about the EIN delay.

New Business, New EIN

While nobody wants to face a lawsuit, the best thing you can do for your growing transportation business is prepare a plan for facing legal issues. Well, one potential path for owner-operators to take is becoming a Limited Liability Company (LLC). By becoming a LLC, your trucking business has the option to become a separate entity with its own Tax Identification Number and bank account, and it can’t be named in a personal lawsuit against you.

After you transition to a LLC, you may end up with a new EIN! After obtaining a new EIN, you’ll have to file a new 2290 with your new number, and use your old number to claim a HVUT credit.

Why Should You Become an LLC?

Do you have one truck? Two trucks? A red truck and a blue truck? Ah, you get what I mean. You can file to become an LLC regardless of how many trucks you have. Should you separate your business from your self, though? That’s honestly up to you, and you need to weigh the pros and cons. First up, you’ll protect your personal assets in case of a lawsuit. What’s the trade-off? How you file your taxes will change, and how you account for finances will have to change, too! Keep that in mind as you head down this road.

How Do You Know If You Need a New EIN?

Well, not every new LLC needs a new EIN. But a lot do! If you’re wondering how you know you’ll need a new number, the IRS says you will need a new EIN if any of the following statements are true:

  • You are a new LLC with more than one owner (Multi-member LLC) formed under state law.
  • You are a new LLC with one owner (Single Member LLC) formed under state law and choose to be taxed as a corporation or an S corporation.
  • You are a new LLC with one owner (Single Member LLC) formed under state law, and have an excise tax filing requirement for tax periods beginning on or after January 1, 2008, or an employment tax filing requirement for wages paid on or after January 1, 2009.

Like we said before, we can’t tell you to become an LLC. But many owner-operators take this path for the added business protections and benefits. After all, you want to protect your livelihood! Have you turned your trucking business into an LLC? Let us know on Facebook and Twitter!

After you’ve received the EIN for your new LLC, be sure to file your 2290s with ExpressTruckTax! If you have any questions, give us a call at 704.234.6005, reach us on live chat, or shoot us an email!

Read More »

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Perks for Owner-Operators


ExpressTruckTax PartnersRunning a trucking business isn’t easy, especially during tax time, but here at ExpressTruckTax, we’ve got you covered!

We work very closely with some amazing owner-operator based associations as well as one-on-one with several fantastic trucking companies. Navigating a trucking business around HVUT season might seem like a nightmare, but with the perks we offer to owner-operators, we can turn that nightmare into a dream come true.

We’ve partnered with Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA), America’s Independent Trucker’s Association (AITA), National Minority Trucking Association (NMTA), and South Carolina Trucking Association (SCTA) and even more amazing associations in order to make e-filing for truck taxes so much easier.

And we’re succeeding in helping tons of truckers and owner-operators file their Heavy Vehicle Use Taxes, and get their Stamped Schedule 1 in minutes!

Here are just a few of the ways we help our Owner-Operators succeed during the HVUT season. If you’re a member of one of these associations, what are you waiting for? It’s time to start reaping the benefits.

  • Customized E-filing Portals
    • Our owner-operators enjoy a customized ExpressTruckTax portal on their company websites where they can e-file with ease.
  • Never Lose Another Day of Work for HVUT
    • When you e-file with ExpressTruckTax, or your personalized tax portal, you can do it directly from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You don’t have to wait in line at the IRS office, or worry about making an appointment just to file. 
  • Educational Materials about Taxes
    • Figuring out how to file HVUT can be tough. That’s why ExpressTruckTax provides our partners with some much needed materials to educate their owner-operators and members on how to correctly file their taxes and stay current with IRS regulations.
  • 24/7 Free Support
    • We’re there for our you for 24/7, no matter what! We can address problems anytime of day (or night) and get them handled quickly and professionally.
  • Free Automatic E-mail with Stamped Schedule 1
    • As soon as you e-file, you’ll get your Stamped Schedule 1 e-mailed to you automatically! You can also select other options to receive your Stamped Schedule 1 by fax, postal mail, or you can download it directly from your truck tax dashboard.

And these are things nobody else is doing. But with us, our customers will always come first and get the best service and product available. It’s just that simple!

If you need any help e-filing your HVUT or using your personalized portal, don’t hesitate to ask our dedicated support legends. All you have to do is call them at 704.234.6005 or send them an email at for 24/hour support in English and Spanish.

Read More »

ExpressTruckTax Blog

E-file your HVUT Form 2290 with ExpressTruckTax.