Unfortunately, the answer is no. The IRS requires ANY taxpayer filing a Form 2290 to use an EIN or Employer Identification Number when filing. The IRS expressly prohibits the use of social security numbers for the filing of 2290.
We receive many questions from taxpayers who believe they’re not a business – simply a driver. In these cases, you still need to have a business such as a sole proprietorship.
To get an Employer Identification Number from the IRS, you can follow one of the following options:
- Apply Online: The customer can obtain an EIN immediately by visiting IRS Online EIN application
- Apply over the phone: Taxpayers can obtain an EIN immediately by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN, and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone. Note: International applicants must call (215) 516-6999 (Not a toll-free number).
- Apply Fax: Fax the completed form SS-4 to IRS. If you provide a return fax number, IRS will send a fax to that number within 4 days with a new EIN.
- Apply through Paid Provider: You can use a CPA or a process agent, like Truck Services of North America and let them take care of preparing and filing the return for you.
- Apply by Mail: This is the slowest way to get the EIN number. mail the completed Form SS-4 to the IRS. The address is listed on the form itself. This could take up to 4 weeks to get the EIN number.
NOTE: Remember, for vehicles first used in April, the due date to file your Form 2290 is May 31, 2013. While you can get your EIN immediately, it can take the IRS up to 10 business days to update new EINs into their system; so you will want to get your EIN today to ensure it is in the system by the deadline!
Once your EIN is in the IRS system or if you already have one, you can file your Form 2290 return and receive your Stamped Schedule 1 within minutes at ExpressTruckTax . To E-File Form 2290 online now, go to ExpressTruckTax.com or contact our Express Tax Support Center in Rock Hill, SC at 704-234-6005 or email us at support@ExpressTruckTax.com . We have Spanish Support too!
1,371 total views, 3 views today