Can I File IRS Form 2290 Without an EIN?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. The IRS requires ANY taxpayer filing a Form 2290 to use an EIN or Employer Identification Number when filing. The IRS expressly prohibits the use of social security numbers for the filing of 2290.
We receive many questions from taxpayers who believe they’re not a business – simply a driver. In these cases, you still need to have a business such as a sole proprietorship.
To get an Employer Identification Number from the IRS, you can follow one of the following options:
- a.Apply Online: The customer can obtain an EIN immediately by visiting IRS Online EIN application
- b. Apply over the phone: Taxpayers can obtain an EIN immediately by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor takes the information, assigns the EIN, and provides the number to an authorized individual over the telephone. Note: International applicants must call (215) 516-6999 (Not a toll-free number).
- c. Apply Fax: Fax the completed form SS-4 to IRS. If you provide a return fax number, IRS will send a fax to that number within 4 days with a new EIN.
- d. Apply through Paid Provider: You can use a CPA or a process agent, like Truck Services of North America and let them take care of preparing and filing the return for you.
- e. Apply by Mail: This is the slowest way to get the EIN number. mail the completed Form SS-4 to the IRS. The address is listed on the form itself. This could take up to 4 weeks to get the EIN number.
If you have questions or require assistance, please contact our friendly US Based Customer Support Team in Rock Hill, SC at 704-234-6005 or visit us at ExpressTruckTax.com.
2,268 total views, 6 views today
No Comments | Jul 7, 2012
E-File a VIN Correction for your Form 2290 for FREE!!!
No Comments | Apr 25, 2012
3 Month Tax Extension for Internal Revenue Service Form 2290 (Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax)
No Comments | Jul 25, 2011
ExpressTruckTax is Mobile!!
No Comments | Nov 26, 2012