Taxes are already confusing enough. You have to know what form to file, when to file, how to file, and more. To make matters worse even if you file your form on time, it can still be rejected for simple mistakes! Then you have to go through the process of correcting your form.
Even though ExpressTruckTax has made that e-filing process and amendment process incredibly easy, with the HVUT season approaching, we want your form to get accepted the first time! So, check out these common HVUT mistakes to avoid!
Common HVUT Mistakes To Avoid
1. Entering Your VIN Incorrectly. Slow down, you need to make sure that all of your information gets entered correctly. Vehicle Identification Numbers consist of 17 characters that include both numbers and letters, so they can easily get mixed up.
Plus, VINs have incredibly small print. We often find ourselves squinting to reference our own! It might be hard to see if something is a 1 or an I, or a 0 or an O, so bust out your glasses to take a really good, close look at your VIN. After you enter it on your form double check it to makes sure that it’s correct.
2. Waiting too long to get your EIN. Sometimes people don’t realize that they need an EIN or Federal Tax Identification Number to file their 2290. Your EIN also serves as your Employment Identification Number.
You can apply for an EIN with the IRS directly, but keep in mind that it takes at least 15 days for your EIN to be added to the system. So, if you file your 2290 and apply for your EIN too close to the deadline, then your form could be rejected. If you need an EIN don’t wait til the last minute!
Some people ignore the fact that they need an EIN and put their SSN number in the field. The IRS no longer accepts Social Security Numbers in place of EINs!
3. Mismatching mistakes. Keep in mind that your business name, address, and EIN has to match what the IRS has on file. You can call the IRS directly to verify your information.
4. Don’t enter the wrong tax year. It’s really easy to put the wrong year on checks, dates, important forms, and more! While you can e-file for 2290’s for previous years, if you want to file for the current tax year, which is July 2016 – June 2017, make sure you have those dates correctly selected.
5. Filing is put off until the last minute. No one wants to deal with taxes, so they wait as long as they can to file them, which usually results in filing too late or finding out that your form needs corrections that you don’t have enough time to make before the deadline.
However, in reality, it’s extremely easy to e-file Form 2290. With ExpressTruckTax you can follow the step-by-step guide to easily handle your HVUT in a matter of minutes and receive your stamped Schedule 1 via email almost instantly.
You don’t even need a computer to file. Download the free ExpressTruckTax app to any iOS or Android Device to quickly and easily e-file your 2290 at any time, from any location. This makes it super easy to file even while you’re out on the road.
But wait, you don’t even have to wait! Go ahead and take care of your HVUT today by calling our sister company TSNAmerica at 803.386.0320 to pre-file over the phone today. All you have to do is call them, and they’ll file your Form 2290 for you, and transmit it the IRS on July 1st! As soon as the IRS stamps your Schedule 1 you’ll receive it via email!
We’re Here to Help
With HVUT season approaching don’t worry, we’re here to help. We will be more than happy to answer your questions and even walk you through the filing process. Give us a call Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM EST at 704.234.6005, chat with us online, or take advantage of our 24/7 email support at email@example.com
2,061 total views, 6 views today