Claim Your Low Mileage Refund with ExpressTruckTax!

As tax season draws ever closer, so does the time for refunds. Who doesn’t love getting money back?!

As the new tax year approaches on July 1st, many of you out there are realizing you didn’t actually reach the mileage requirement for paying heavy vehicle use tax in the previous year.

So, Trucking Nation, how can you get some of that green back?

Your window of opportunity to claim this refund is about to open! From June 1st through the 30th, you can E-file a Form 8849 to claim your low mileage refund. After that, if you’d still like a refund for a prior year low mileage vehicle, you will need to E-file a Form 2290 with a Credit Vehicle.

Who is eligible for a low-mileage refund? Let’s find out!

Who Qualifies for a Low Mileage Refund?

Trucks that traveled fewer than 5,000 miles on public highways during the tax year are eligible for a refund of their HVUT. Moreover, agricultural vehicles that traveled fewer than 7,500 miles on public highways during the tax year are eligible for a refund too.

There are other types of refunds you can get for your heavy vehicle use tax as well! If your vehicle was stolen, sold, or destroyed (or if you overpaid on your heavy vehicle use tax), you are eligible for a refund as well. You can even file for those types of refunds with ExpressTruckTax right now!

I Need a Refund—What Should I Do?

If you’re eligible for a low mileage refund, you may have some questions on how to file. And we have the answers! On June 1 (or right now if you’re eligible for a different type of refund), log into your ExpressTruckTax account and follow these simple steps:

  • Step 1: Select “Start a New Return” and choose start under “Form 8849 Schedule 6”
  • Step 2: Enter the fiscal tax year month end for your business. This is typically in December unless the fiscal year of your business differs from the norm.
  • Step 3: If you have any trucks that were stolen, sold, or destroyed this past tax year, you should enter them first. You will need the VIN, gross vehicle weight, first-used month and the date the vehicle was sold, lost, or destroyed.
  • Step 4: Now, you can enter the VIN, gross vehicle weight and first-used month for any vehicles eligible for a low mileage credit.
  • Step 5: After that, if you’re eligible, you’re onto the overpayment credits. You can enter these by inputting the date of the overpayment tax, the VIN, amount you are claiming, and a short explanation for the IRS to review. 
  • Step 6: Then finally you can review your information, and since we estimate the refund for you, check out how much the IRS will be putting back into your pocket!

The IRS typically issues refunds within 4-6 weeks of filing. Then, you can kick back and enjoy your extra cash!

Register with us today so that come June 1st you’ll be ready to begin E-filing for your refund right away! And don’t forget, you only have until June 30th to file for your Form 8849. After that, you will need to file a 2290 with a credit vehicle.

Always remember, if you have any questions our dedicated Support Team is here to help you every step of the way! You can call at 704.234.6005, e-mail at, or even start a live-chat on our website!

So, sit back, relax, and enjoy refund season!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *