There is nothing like a hearty, healthy meal after a long day on the road. If you have a slow cooker, here are some simple recipes any trucker can prepare in their truck. Cooking your meals while on the road is not only the healthier option–– it will save you money!
3 Easy and Delicious Trucker Recipes
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
This recipe is excellent for those long winter months we have ahead of us! The secret to this recipe is curry powder. It adds depth of flavor and turns the soup golden yellow, not to mention delicious!
Author: Summer Smith
- 3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, skinned and excess fat trimmed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 medium parsnips, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 2 -inch piece Parmesan rind
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh dill fronds, chopped (about 1 small bunch)
- Combine the chicken breasts, chicken broth, 2 cups of water, carrots, parsnips, celery, onions, Parmesan rind, curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper in the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat (discard the bones) and add back to the soup; add the peas and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
For more information:
Chicken and Dumplings
How about a little comfort food tonight? This easy-to-prepare recipe can be prepped in your truck and will satisfy your craving for some good ‘ole-fashioned comfort food.
Author: Crockin Girls
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless). You can also use a store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can of Cream of Celery Soup
- 3 1/2 Cups of chicken broth
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup of celery, diced
- 1 cup of carrots, diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 10 ounces of can of biscuits, but you can make your own
*When I make this at home, I use 1/2 block of cream cheese and 1 cup of sour cream.
- EXCLUDING THE BISCUITS put all ingredients in, then cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- About an hour (give or take) before serving, remove chicken and pull into pieces and return to the soup mixture.
- Place the torn biscuit dough in and cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
For more information: | Crockin Girls |
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Craving Chinese food? Well, this is the recipe for you!
Author: Summer Smith
- 1 pound chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup regular flour (or try almond meal for a healthier option)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 16 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 1 small onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 bag pre-cut broccoli
- 1-1 ½ cups pineapple
- Add egg, flour, and oil to slow cooker
- Add chicken
- Let chicken cook for 1 hour on high
- Add tomato sauce, water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and ginger
- Add onion, pepper, broccoli, and pineapple
- Stir until everything is mixed well and covered
- Set on high for 2.5 more hours (Time varies with your version of crock pot – If cook on low then needs to be 4.5 hours)
- Can serve over rice
For more information: | CDLLife |
We hope you have enjoyed these easy and healthy trucker recipes you can prepare in your rig while on the road!
399 total views, 6 views today