Oops! It’s Time to File a VIN Correction

VIN Correction
File VIN Correction

We hear it all the time—you decided to get things done fast this year, so you e-file Form 2290 early. But once your stamped Schedule 1 comes in, you see that your VIN is way off. What can you do? Well, the easy answer is e-file a VIN correction!

Added Tax From Increase in Taxable Gross Weight

If your vehicle’s taxable gross weight increases during the period, and your vehicle falls in a new tax category, you need to file an amendment. We let you file for amendments with the same easy-to-use system you filed your 2290 with.

Suspended Vehicles Exceeding the Mileage use Limit

If a suspended vehicle exceeds the mileage use limit, they need to file form 2290 amendment. The mileage use limit for a heavy vehicle on public highways is 5,000 miles or less (7,500 miles or less for agricultural vehicles). The mileage use limit applies to the total mileage a vehicle is on the road during a period, regardless of the number of owners.

VIN Correction

If you made a mistake on a VIN when you filed Form 2290, you need to file a Form 2290 VIN correction. You can only file a VIN correction for taxable (or) suspended vehicles, and not for credit vehicles or for prior year suspended vehicles. The wrong VIN must have been paid for in the original form 2290, or the IRS will penalize you while still requiring the actual tax.

Don’t forget, we offer FREE 2290 VIN corrections for any filer who e-filed their 2290 return with us here at ExpressTruckTax!

If you didn’t e-file your 2290 with us, but you still need to e-file a VIN correction, have no fear! You still have a chance, you just have to pay a small fee.

So when you need to e-file form 2290 VIN corrections, head over to ExpressTruckTax and we’ll make sure you’re taken care of.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *