But before you begin your e-filing journey, the first step, if you have never filed with us before, is to create a new account. Now, the idea of creating any sort of account that centers around tax software probably sounds a little scary, but with us, the whole process is truly simple!
Before you begin creating your account, there are a few things you need in order to get started:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- An internet connection
- Your business name and address
- Employer Identification Number
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Your Gross Vehicle Weight
Then, once you have the necessary documentation and equipment, you’re ready to get started. So head on over to the New User section on ExpressTruckTax and create your free account!
Creating Your Account
Enter your name, phone number, email address, and a password of your choosing. Then select whether you would like to see the site in English or Spanish.
- Pro Tip #1: If you would like to make account creation even faster, simply choose to login with your Facebook or Google+ account. To do this, just click on the corresponding Facebook or Google+ icon at the top of the login page and choose to allow ExpressTruckTax to have access to your account.
After you register, you will be prompted to watch a quick orientation video (or if you’re just too eager to get started, you can skip it–it’s up to you). All you have to do is click the green “Begin” button, and your journey is underway!
Entering Your Business Details
But you’re not done yet! Now you need to enter your business details into your account. That’s where all the pre-game information comes in!
- The first thing you need to do to get started is choose your business type from the dropdown menu. Select from LLC, corporation, sole proprietorship, etc.
- Then enter your legal business name exactly as the IRS has it stored on record. If the business name doesn’t match the EIN on record then the IRS will reject your return.
- Next enter your “doing business as” name or DBA. This only needs to be entered if the name you’re doing business as is different than the name the IRS has on file for your business.
Now, here’s the big one! The EIN. The Employer Identification Number is required by the IRS in order to file your heavy vehicle use tax. You EIN takes at least 10 business days to become active. So if you have a new EIN, it is imperative that you wait at least 10 business days from the date it was issued before filing your excise tax or your return will be rejected.
- Pro Tip #2: If you don’t have an EIN, you need to register for one as soon as possible! To register for your EIN, you can use the IRS website or call the IRS hotline at 1.800.829.4933. Or you can call our friends at Truck Services of North America and have someone file for you.
After the EIN, all that’s left is to enter your business address and the information of the signing authority. The signing authority is the name of the person filing for your business. Whether it’s your CEO, bookkeeper, spouse, or a CPA, you must enter the individual’s name and title there.
Then that’s it! You’ve created your account, successfully ending your account creation journey. Now you’re ready to start e-filing (or pre-filing)! And that process is easy too.
If you need any help setting up your account, or e-filing (and pre-filing) with us, we’ve got a whole team of dedicated e-filing experts ready to assist you 24/7 from our headquarters in Rock Hill, SC! So give them a call at 704.234.6005 or email them at email@example.com for support in English and Spanish!
And don’t forget! Everyone who pre-files with us during the month of June is entered into our Swag Bag Give-Away. You could win all sorts of ExpressTruckTax goodies AND a $50 Gift Card!