VIN Corrections 101: Fixing Your 2290s

So you filed Form 2290 and received your Stamped Schedule 1, but now you’ve discovered you used  the wrong vehicle identification number. What do you do?

Don’t worry, mistakes happen in the realm of tax filings, which is why we have 2290 Amendments. Let’s be real, your VIN is a scramble of 17 alphanumeric characters—sometimes you might hit the wrong key. And trust us, we’ve seen a few 5’s that look like the letter S more than once on a VIN. To err is human!

If you filed your heavy vehicle use tax with ExpressTruckTax, you can e-file a VIN correction FREE of charge. Since your original filing was with us, we think we can help you out. And if you used another service or paper filed your 2290, you can also e-file a VIN correction for a small fee.

How does it work? Well, VIN corrections can be only filed for taxable or suspended vehicles, not for credit vehicles or prior year suspended vehicles. When you file a VIN correction for Form 2290, you can’t combine it with credits claimed on the same form. Also, the wrong VIN must have been paid for in the original form 2290. Otherwise, the IRS will assign penalties in addition to the actual tax.

How do you e-file your VIN correction? After logging in to ExpressTruckTax, click Start New Return and you’ll be prompted with three options. From there, you need to select Form 2290 Amendments.

After that, you are prompted to choose between a VIN Correction, a Taxable Gross Weight Increase, and Mileage Exceeded. Underneath VIN Correction, click Start.

From that point on, your options split between previous filers and new customers. If you filed your 2290 with us before, this is where you can e-file your VIN correction for free!

After that, it’s only a matter of entering the incorrect VIN and updating it to the correct VIN. For a more detailed explanation, check out this video!

So don’t forget, if you filed with ExpressTruckTax, you can e-file a VIN correction with no strings attached. Now, we do need your credit card information for verification purposes, but the service itself is free. After you correct your VIN, you will get your corrected Schedule 1 in minutes. Don’t forget, if you didn’t file your HVUT with us, you can still pay for a VIN correction.

If for any reason you have any questions about e-filing your VIN correction, our friendly customer support team can help you out! Reach us by phone at 704.234.6005, email at, or live chat with us on our website!


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *