Sound the alarm, your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) Form 2290 is due this month! That means time is officially running out and you need to file by the August 31st deadline in order to avoid getting faced with major penalties.
However, you don’t have to panic, ExpressTruckTax, your number 1 Form 2290 e-file provider is here to help with a few tips for you to remember when you quickly and easily file.
2290 Filing Tips
1. Slow down and enter all of your information correctly to avoid having your form rejected over a simple typo. VINs (Vehicle Identification Numbers) for example, consist of 17 characters with both letters and numbers, so they can be easy to mix up. Plus, the font is usually pretty small and hard to read, so bust out your glasses if you need to.
The letters I, O, and Q are not found in VINs to prevent confusion. So an I is a 1 and an O is a 0. Also, there are no spaces in your VIN. If you need to correct your VIN don’t worry, ExpressTruckTax lets you quickly and easily make VIN corrections for free.
2. Go ahead and get your EIN (Employer Identification Number) now if you need one. If you don’t have one then you need to apply for one with the IRS online. Once you apply you’ll receive your new EIN number instantly, but that doesn’t mean you can use it yet. It takes about 15 days for your EIN to become updated in the IRS’s system and forms can get rejected during that time.
The clock is already ticking, soon you won’t be able to wait 15 days before the deadline for your EIN to become updated. The deadline will be here before you know it, so again, if you need an EIN, handle it today.
3. Double check your information. You will be presented with a summary of your information with ExpressTruckTax before transmitting your return to the IRS, just so that you can reread over all of your details and make sure that everything is correct.
If you enter your name incorrectly then your stamped Schedule 1 will have the wrong name and then the DMV won’t accept it as proof of payment. Then you will have to file and pay for your HVUT all over again to get a new stamped Schedule 1.
4. Remember, you are required to include your suspended vehicles on your 2290 Form. A suspended vehicle is a vehicle that is expected to be used for less than 5,000 miles (7,500 for agricultural vehicles) on public highways during the tax period. Suspended or credit vehicles also include vehicles that were lost, stolen, or destroyed.
Including these vehicles may work to your advantage because in some cases you can receive tax credits or a refund for them. If ExpressTruckTax sees that the amount of credit you have is greater than the amount of HVUT you owe then we will automatically generate Form 8849, the Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes Form for you, so you can get your money back from the IRS faster.
5. Instantly file online with ExpressTruckTax! It’s easy, follow the step-by-step e-filing guide to have your stamped Schedule 1 sent to you via email within about 15 minutes. You don’t even need a computer to file. With the ExpressTruckTax app on your smartphone or tablet to file at any time, from any location.
Or call TSNAmerica at 803.386.0320 to have a 2290 expert file over the phone for you. All you have to do is sit back and answer a few questions to instantly handle your 2290 needs. Plus, you’ll instantly get a copy of your stamped Schedule 1 via email.
Taxes can be confusing, but it’s our mission to make them easy. Contact the dedicated ExpressTruckTeam if you need any assistance. We are available Monday – Friday from 8 AM to 7 PM EST at 704.234.6005. We’re also available via live chat and offer 24/7 email support at email@example.com.