It’s Wednesday, Trucking Nation, and you know what that means— ExpressTruckTax is back with part two of our #WellnessWednesday series! We’ve got 5 more Tips for Healthier Trucking. Last time, we had 5 tips for getting you started on your wellness journey. But it’s time to rise to the next level!
Wellness doesn’t extend to our physical bodies alone. So today, we’ll be focusing on wellness, from the inside out, with some tips for creating good vibrations. Your emotional/mental well-being is the foundation of
your health, so how can you give yourself an inner
tune-up while on the road?
1. Challenge your Mind:
Turn your cab into a classroom! Those hours spent behind the wheel provide the perfect opportunity for some brain stimulation. Any one of these three will give you the thrill of learning something new and broadening your horizons.
- Stave off boredom by listening to new kinds of music you wouldn’t have before.
- Listen to an audio book. You can’t read behind the wheel, but you can still learn about the Civil War or get engrossed in the latest murder-mystery!
- And since you’re always going new and exciting places, why not learn a new language? Listening to a language and repeating out loud with a program can be one of the fastest, most effective ways to learn.
2. Stay Connected: Being on the road for days or weeks on end, we know it can be hard to keep in touch with all of your friends and family. But there are ways to share your experiences and stay connected. First, take plenty of pictures! Truckers see it all, new places every day. So capture it and share it, whether it’s on your favorite social media site, or by making a slideshow and emailing it to loved ones. Another way to bring them on your journey with you, create a journal. Print out the best pictures and glue ‘em into a notebook. Jot down the stories behind each photo, and before you know it, you’ve got a head start on your memoirs!
3. Meditate: Ohhhhm— Breathing exercises and meditation are proven to have loads of health benefits. The best times to meditate are in the morning when you first wake or right before bed, or both! Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes, sit up straight, and close your eyes. Breathe slowly and deeply, listening to the sound of your own breath. You can also focus on a single point, like a flame, or find free guided-meditation videos online, if you get distracted easily. The idea is to clear your mind of all thoughts and just exist in the moment. The results? You’ll not only reduce stress and anxiety, but you’ll lower blood pressure, sleep better, and have increased mental clarity, certainly beneficial for you busy drivers!
4. Adopt a Companion: There are millions of dogs of all kinds out there just waiting for someone like you to give them a loving home. And they’re usually available for little to no cost too. Bringing along a furry friend can stave off loneliness on the road and have added physical benefits too! They’ll get you out of the truck and have you walking (or running!) regularly. If you’ve already got a pup back home, consider bringing her along on your next trip!
5. Get Quality Sleep: All roads lead….to a bed! When you work such long hours, how can you avoid feeling exhausted? Feeling well-rested is not just about quantity, it’s about quality of sleep. Avoid caffeine later in day, and heavy meals too. If you’re feeling hungry before bed, eat a light snack, like fruit and nuts. When it’s time to sleep, blocking out ambient light will help your body sleep deeply. Turn off that T.V. or laptop, and hang some blackout curtains around your cab windows. If you can’t get those, use an eye mask and some good earplugs to get some quality zzz. Sleeping better, you’ll not only feel physically rejuvenated, but you’ll see a positive boost in your moods, too!
With these 5 tips in your arsenal, you’ll be picking up good vibrations and feeling renewed motivation on your wellness journey! If you’ve got some successful health tips, share them with me! They may be featured in the next installment of our series. Have a happy, healthy Hump Day!
Ready for more?
Even More Tips for Healthy Trucking: Ripped Edition!
426 total views, 3 views today